Meal Planning Resources
Planning tools and trackers
Gear and Route Planning Resources
Web Apps (some also have smart phone apps too)
Jump start your smartphone usage as backpacking GPS
- Do: Use your smartphone as a backpacking and hiking GPS. It’s excellent!
- Do: Use CalTopo for your pre-trip route planning and mapping. It’s the perfect companion to Gaia GPS on your smartphone.
- Do: Use Gaia GPS. It’s a near perfect App for hiking in the US, Canada and New Zealand and now Spain and France. (see below for using other mapping Apps and in other countries)
- Do: Download Maps For Offline Use to Gaia GPS before your trip
- Note: If you use CalTopo for your pre-trip route planning and map printing, and GAIA GPS on your smartphone, then your printed maps will exactly match the maps and way-points on your iPhone. That’s a big deal in the field—making everything a ton easier to follow and understand!
Checking Conditions On The Trail
InciWeb Forest fire information for the United States
Meso West Weather observations around the United States
National Weather Service Home page linking to voluminous weather data
Northwest Avalanche Center Winter avalanche forecasts for the Pacific Northwest
USDA Interactive Snow Coverage Map for the Western United States This map lets you zoom and scroll on the map.
NWCC Snow Water Equivalent Update Graphs – California
NWCC Snow Water Equivalent Update Graphs – Idaho
NWCC Snow Water Equivalent Update Graphs – Montana/Wyoming
NWCC Snow Water Equivalent Update Graphs – Oregon
NWCC Snow Water Equivalent Update Graphs – Washington