Meal Planning Resources
Planning tools and trackers
Gear and Route Planning Resources
Another resource worth checking out
Web Apps (some also have smart phone apps too)
Jump start your smartphone usage as backpacking GPS
- Use your smartphone as a backpacking and hiking GPS. It’s excellent!
- Try CalTopo for your pre-trip route planning and mapping. It’s the perfect companion to Gaia GPS on your smartphone.
- Use Gaia GPS. It’s a near perfect App for hiking in the US, Canada and New Zealand and now Spain and France. (see below for using other mapping Apps and in other countries)
- In the Pro version there are extra maps you can download For Offline Use to Gaia GPS before your trip.
- Note: If you use CalTopo for your pre-trip route planning and map printing, and GAIA GPS on your smartphone, then your printed maps will exactly match the maps and way-points on your iPhone. That’s a big deal in the field—making everything a ton easier to follow and understand!
- Viewranger allows you to sync planned routes to your smartphone and download maps ahead of time.
- In the Pro version you can download more detailed maps.