- Photo sizesSquare
XXS - tiny
XS - extra small
S - small
M - medium
L - large
- LanguageAfrikaans Argentina Azərbaycanca
Bahasa Indonesia Brasil Brezhoneg
Català Česky Dansk
Deutsch Dhivehi English
English English Español
Esperanto Estonian Euskara
Finnish Français Français
Gaeilge Galego Hrvatski
Íslenska Italiano Latviešu
Lëtzebuergesch Lietuviu Magyar
Malay México Nederlands
Norsk bokmål Norwegian nynorsk Polski
Português Română Slovenšcina
Slovensky Srpski Svenska
Tiếng Việt Türkçe Wolof
Ελληνικά Български Македонски
Монгол Русский Српски
Українська עברית العربية (مصر)
العربية العربية پارسی
தமிழ் ಕನ್ನಡ ภาษาไทย
ქართული ខ្មែរ 中文 (繁體)
中文 (香港) 日本語 简体中文
Home / Trail of the Shadows Photos WA 12
- The trail loops around historic Longmire Meadows and has several signs explaining plants, wildlife, and history around the meadows.
- Near the trailhead looking towards the foot of Rampart Ridge at Mt. Rainier National Park.
- Near the trailhead looking at the National Park Inn at Mt. Rainier National Park.
- Winter snows cover Longmire Meadows in January.
- The springs in the meadows stay open all winter despite the snows that cover Longmire Meadows.
- A small beaver pond is fed by springs in the meadows. The water is warm enough to stay open even though snow convers the rest of Longmire Meadows.
- Snow buries a bridge on the southwest side of Longmire Meadows. The water is still warm enough to stay open all winter.
- When James Longmire opened the resort at Longmire in the late 1800's, it was considered good health to drink from the soda springs and to bathe in the water.
- This is a soda spring becuase carbon dioxide and other gasses constantly bubble up through the water.
- Fall brings out the yellows and golds of the grasses in Longmire Meadow. Look for trees and brush cut down by beavers along the edges of the meadow.
- This cabin is the oldest surviving structure at Mt. Rainier National Park. It was built by Elcaine Longmire in 1888.
- The rust orange color of this cement come from iron and other minerals that precipitate out of the water as it cools. This stonework was built around 1920. This color is why the spring is called Iron Mike.